Sunday, February 3, 2008

Coffee ? No please..!!:)

Every time I think of something interesting to blog about, something or the other keeps coming up,to an extent of making me forget what had initially set off my writing sensitivities. . . This morning, one such incident happened. But this time, not letting the other things come in between, I decided to blog under an ASAP Code.Here I go....
The title suggests that this post has something to do with the following things :
1.Coffee
2."NO"
3.The person saying a "NO"
4.The person saying a "NO" with a "Please" tailing behind
5.And the reason behind the "NO", with or without the tail.

Before I drive a few of my readers "crazy" and a few"craziER", let me start off with what's bothering me this time, that I'm here to give a new post. The Idea of "Polite" Refusal is what is bothering me...This might give an impression to a few that I'm fast approaching the insanity threshold.Maybe you're right, but noone's stopping me from saying what I got to say.. ;-)

Ever since I was a kid,the first lie I was made to utter was "say no,when your heart and mind correlate for once,prompting you to say a YES..! For instance, an aunty in a flowery sarree came upto me and asked me if I wanted juice. It was something like a silent prayer answered, when my heart prompted me to say "yes please", but the dagger throws from mom made me refuse with the tail attached. Its not about whether I wanted the juice very badly or not. It's just that for a person who doesn't really want the juice, the NO would be meaningless,as the many aunties in the flowery ^infinity sarees would naturally assume that the person was just being formal. With a cackling laugh coming up from the kitchen, you would hear a shrill voice commanding you to take it, and stop being so formal . So whether or not a person really wants what is being offered,he/she has to struggle a bit before making them understand the "real NO". Wouldn't it have been easier if there was no such concept as "Polite refusal", that people were allowed to speak their mind and say yes or no as and when they felt it coming and not out of a forceful , most probably reversible outcome? And most importantly, not being mistaken for "the first time YES". I don't think most would have even given it a thought. So..what's going on ? ? ? Why does this refuse to leave my head? ???

Note :
Any theories are welcome in the comment section ,as long as they don't end up confusing me even more.


1 comment:

SierrA ManiaC said...

When mind and heart talk the same language we lose the ability to communicate sister.

I don't know I have not thought much about the polite refusal. Infact if my parents are not around even if my mind says no I have learnt to take the same and use it (here consume it) and place it.

Rather than the refusal looking a bit wrong your consumption of the same would look not bad.

Now this rule is not applicable to alcohol for me. I say a blunt no and then the heart and mind talk the same language.

Stumped!

This happens whenever I take a train from Chennai to Bangalore (Ahem..read as whenever I travel alone!). After taking consecutive modes of ...