Wednesday, December 23, 2009

To Dad - With Love :)

I must have been around five. We had just moved to Madras (Yes it was known as Madras back then, the name I prefer sticking to till date! :)I had to join UKG at the only primary school in the locality - St.John's Annex, while my brother joined class 5 in the giant sister in the same area- St.John's CBSE. The very first event I participated in was a "fancy dress" competition. That was my first attempt in something even close to a technically "extracurricular" activity. I think it was on the event of Independence Day. So naturally, the theme was "National leaders". Guess who I got to play - Rani Lakshmibai of Jhansi. *AVM bgm* Though for my kindergarten IQ, this name was too long and hence just Jhansi Rani or rather the easier to grasp - "Jhonsi Rani", I still remember the excitement I felt over the whole issue. My Dad was the sole purpose behind all the "fancy" stuff happening in my commendable new life at a new place. Well, we went around the whole of Mylapore (amazing place for anything related to "ARTS") in search of a store for an appropriate attire for a 2 feet something, who wanted to "look" like a miniature mannequin version of the queen of Jhansi! We found a place which sold all sorts of "Raja Rani" costumes , plus the extra stuff - wig(very important - since people hadn't even seen Joan of Arc then and probably didn't allow females to sport a crop for a hairdo!). The jewellery - enough to sink the 2 feet mannequin down, with one wrong move! The best thing about the whole shopping is that we "hired" them all! Thank God, we didn't have to buy all that stuff. Like a novice director, my Dad decided to give me my "speech" only in the last minute - the day before the "D-Day". Having done my few years schooling dealing primarily with A.B.C.D plus 2+2=4, any other language, other than "English, Tamil" was "?" to me. Since we had picked a character from history, it would be insane if I spoke in "English". Hence, Dad turned into the writer, from the director, or rather "art director"! He wrote me a four liner in Hindi (a language I still can't fathom much!) which went like this...
"Main Jhansi Ki Raani hoon..............blah blah blah(I don't remember)...there were some tough words in between and it ended with "Jai Hind!" (ofcourse I remember this, that was the easiest part! :D ) So, we went about it in a logically sane fashion - him teaching me lines, me byhearting (or rather cramming - a skill which I've still not mastered!). We went on for sometime, till I was sure of "those four lines" and would spit it out, even if I was woken up from deep slumber. Then came the D-day. *Tadaaaa!* It was a bright and sunny day :) As is the routine, my Mom shampooed my hair (like always, whenever the day had a D prefix!). I felt like a princess already. We went to school. The costume was ready, the make up guy was there. Everything was perfect. The wig was in place...So was the plastic+paper jewellery (No, I didn't sink to the ground!God forbid!) I even had a crown. Awe I didn't forget the sword! I loved the way I looked. It gave me a lot of importance. I was bursting with energy. After "make up" and other trivial things, we were made to stand in a line, at the side of the stage. Some of the worst things that can happen to someone just about to keep her first step on-stage to give her first performance is this - waiting for her turn to come! I was waiting, fidgeting, or doing whatever with my sword, crown, jewellery. Anything to distract me from the fear of facing "the others"! And then, like all queues, mine ended and it was my turn. I stepped onto the stage. I had the sword in hand. Crown on wig - all in place. Not a maskara out of place. I thought I'd close my eyes. Didn't want to face them. But the curiousity of a child is unbeatable and mine took over. I had to look at them, and try locating "family". That was and has always been my top priority. I spent some time, searching for a familiar face. Couldn't spot them. And in a jiffy, "Gajini "took over instead of Jhansi Rani. I lost my lines. I was staring at the anxious audience, my legs started shaking. I swallowed a huge gulp of saliva and all that came out was "I AM JHONSI KI RAANI" and I was off stage, in a jiffy, my legs still shivering. But my Dad was there for me, not even a flinch on his face. He was smiling and gave me a hug( something close to "its ok sweetheart! You did your best!) That was all I wanted. I went home, a happy princess ,smiling away to glory! This post is for my Dad! For trying to teach my first and last four lines of Hindi! :)

21st Dec was his b'day!

Here's what me bro cooked up for him !


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hl3F2I6jodU


:) :) :) Love ya Dad!





No comments:

Stumped!

This happens whenever I take a train from Chennai to Bangalore (Ahem..read as whenever I travel alone!). After taking consecutive modes of ...