Saturday, October 20, 2007

A Walk along the Marina...

We were driving together after a very long time. Its been ages, since we went out anywhere as a family, all three of us together - dad , me and mom(Bro in US -excluded). It was a yearly "gollu" expedition,and very rarely the mission of "sundal-eating" and "payasam-drinking" gets accomplished. With as much pressure as possible from Mom, I would be asked to sing the only song in carnatic music, still etched in memory,ever since I gave up classes in 8th std - "Maru kela ra, Oh Raghava".I would warn all my pursuers about the slight fall of "sruthi", and few slips of the "tala" here and there, as I proudly claimed to have lost touch with carnatic music. At the end of the "Ghaana" and the following "Bachao!Bachao!" looks from those around, if at all I get both the "Sruthi and Tala" right,and by chance ,a word of appreciation from dazzling aunties show-casing jewellery more than those on the idols, my Mom would spring into action rather defensively saying "Enga? Ipo elaam English paaatu thaan kekardhu!!" (Meaning -Oh wat to do? she listens only to English music these days) .And I would give a bewildered look, and a smile thinking "Mothers!" The Gods don't mind, but "they" do - "they"being my Mom this time!This was the scenario every year, this year being no exception.As we were coming back , loaded with "saaamaans"(not the pudupeta slang for daggers :-) meant purely pooja items,fruits,sundal packets etc), Dad asked me suddenly if I would go with him to the Marina for a walk the next morning. I first felt, aaargh !-Walk = exercise = sacrifice of my 3 hrs sleep on holidays!Just that evening I had read in a blog(my all time favourite blog which I read as often as possible,but never comment. Here's the link http://krishashok.wordpress.com/2007/10/02/the-voyage-of-marina-3/ ) about the Marina beach, and with the papers bringing in news everyday about the "so-called" beach beautification process about to take place, I thought "why not?!" So,I told him, OK Dad, If I manage to get up on my own, I'll definitely come. And surprisingly enough , I did. Armed with an mp3 player and sporting my once-in-a-blue-moon- used sneakers, I set off with Dad, to see what on earth, made him visit the Marina every week-end? We were joined by Dad's friend and X-Colleague and all the way , the only thing the men spoke was about politics - internal(official) and external(national)..!I thought, "How boring men can be at times?" It was exasperating enough to just listen to them, I didn't know how women(wives) put up with them? I also wondered if all men tend to lose their sense of humour and liveliness after a certain age , like my dad, who used to be a mobile crackpot making us all go into fits of laughter every time he uttered a word. But now, after crossing 50, sometimes he acts like grouchy old Uncle Scrooge of Christmas Carol(Charles Dickens).But the "Scroogish" makeover happens with dad only occasionally,otherwise he is a very sweet person. We reached the Marina pretty late, just when the sun was ready,spic 'n' span and was almost peeping out from behind the clouds! I turned on the player. The walk began, and so did the songs....


Mandram vantha - Light house


The walk begins, me shepherded by Dad and his buddy. I'm glad that I wore sensible shoes after all!


Nalam vaazha - I see a group of people playing beach volleyball and a few kids practising boxing( !!).We are now right opposite to the Vivekanandhar Illam.


Lose yourself - Crossed uncles (oops! grandpas) playing tennicoit. As they are playing in an almost secluded enclosure, more like a court on its own, I ask Dad if they had to book or something before hand. He says whoever comes first, gets to play there and my mind automatically says "Finders keepers -losers weepers"!


After some 3 to 5 songs that I don't remember- My legs begin to give away at this point, and Dad's shoelace comes off luckily and I stay back, resting my poor sole(soul!).


I fail to notice the statues ,as we are walking on the road right beside the pavement and right behind the statues. Near a statue which looked like an Indian -Older-Kamal Hasan (courtesy:Dad), we make a U - turn .


Maula mera Maula mera - Now we seemed to be walking on the right side. I am normally a very slow paced, jay walker and making the first half possible was hard in the first place. The second half, to be precise , the return ,gives my legs the creeps! Luckily,despite the shuffle option being on, my mp3 sensed the urgent need to keep me in the right mood and immediately played this heart warming number!



Minnale nee vandhadhenade - Still walking down the same lane, towards the parked blue Santro which didn't appear anywhere in vicinity! Now, the sun is showing us how to turn all perfect shades of orange and red, blazing hot. I sweat like a cricketer, almost famished and in need for anything belonging to the H2O category. My thirst is quenched by the song,which brings back old memories...

In the End - Dad and uncle overtake me.I still slog behind and Dad suddenly tries to turn around to say something, notices me left behind, wears an impatient look on his face, and stops in his tracks. His buddy, who doesn't miss his absence continues walking,taking in all the beauty around, the heat too! I pass by green benches, meant for lover-birds,inhabited by a widespread family of crows, cawing for attention. An old lady beside, asks me for alms. I am penniless and try to show that by emptying my pockets, when my mobile almost escapes an ICU encounter!

Nenjam Ellam - I now try to keep up the pace, activated by a vision of the blue coloured car round the corner. I smile to myself, as always, while listening to this number. I see our car, shining away amongst other rivals and quickly try to overtake Dad and buddy to reach it first. As usual, I forget that dad had the keys, and spent another minute waiting for them to reach it.
I get into the car, thinking "Not so bad after all, must do it quite often". My mp3 breathes a sigh of relief, having assisted in the mission which threatened last minute drop-outs!

My Immortal -The walk ends. I reach home to greet mom with a smile and hurriedly sit down in the nearest chair, demanding one of her best teas as quickly as possible. The tea arrives and I'm transported to heaven . A virtual massage takes place and I fall asleep, half lying and half winking , on the chair, with a totally dreamy look on my face.

7 comments:

Ice-Thorn said...

very nice blog (im tired of repeating this everytym.. so hence forth its gonna b VNB) sowmsie

its been so long since i went 4 a walk there 2...

I totally love your style of writing.. when (if) i start blogging.. u will b my Guru.

s()ms!e said...

thnks divz.. my pleasure!! pl do start blogging...

SierrA ManiaC said...

Wish I get to walk in Marina too. Been in my mind for too long but marina being so far away from my house and the evening marina not to my ilke I just wish one day I make it.

astute87 said...

Poof.. What a boring walk.. a lot more happens in Marina.. If only you can write about all that..

s()ms!e said...

Thank you.. I would love to know abt wat "better" things do happen there... And btw ,since You are there to blog abt those Better things, i thought i would rather stick to "boring" walks with people thrice my age.

Sharanya Rajendran said...

Walk with dad is F.U.N to me, I go for morning walks with dad and its interesting to listen to the senior citizens conversation!

@bout the blog:-Its too good!!It's one among my favorites of urs:-) You've given the the entire description of a girl(..quite lazy when waking up early!no offence da!)who decides to set her 'first long' walk along with dad! The music tags along with your descrip is very nice. Writing style is good! Keep up the good work babe:-)

P:S: I never walks can be boring?!? Can the above person please describe how 'walks' can be made interesting? SO that it will help me and sowmya to make 'walkin' blogs more interesting!And sow, yours blog is too good, don't under-estimate it!

s()ms!e said...

Thank u shweeetypa..lOve u!

Stumped!

This happens whenever I take a train from Chennai to Bangalore (Ahem..read as whenever I travel alone!). After taking consecutive modes of ...